Commenting on the record 723 cases reported by the Ministry of Health and Wellness today, Dr Guy said both Friday and Saturday had record numbers and capped a week in which 2,427 persons tested positive with positivity levels of up to 36%.
Consequently, Dr Guy said there should be an urgent review by a broad based team, including our best scientists, of the medical programme and management with a view to replacing ineffective ones with best practices, which have been proven globally.
The Shadow Minister called for renewed emphasis on mask wearing and urged stronger public education and enforcement efforts to stabilise the situation.
Dr Guy said with over 270 Covid-19 patients in hospitals in addition to patients with regular respiratory illnesses, special attention also needs to be placed on securing the requisite supplies, including oxygen, for these diseases. “We are concerned about the state of the health care system exacerbated by the fact many doctors and nurses are themselves getting infected”, he said.
The Opposition spokesman said the Government should consider recommendations made by the Opposition and end the one-upmanship and egotism, which has characterised the Covid-19 management, as the health and welfare of the population trumps all other considerations.
- Countries: Jamaica
- JAMAICA | Don't use expired vaccines opposition warns
- CUBA | Cuban vaccine Soberana Plus protects against Covid-19 reinfection
- JAMAICA | Opposition wants Gov't to Lobby CXC for students to defer Exams
- BRITAIN | Yes, there is structural racism in the UK – COVID-19 outcomes prove it
- Politicians have ‘washed their hands’ and blamed others since Jesus’s crucifixion