According to the Chief Medical Officer in the Minister, Dr. Ronald Georges, the cases, mainly in the community of Cane Garden Bay, are just the “tip of the iceberg”.
“We’re getting reports from folks with illnesses that fit the profile of Zika and Chikungunya,because they all have very similar symptoms. We’re trying to advocate, at least for now, that as many people get tested as possible….”
He also noted that the upsurge in mosquito related illnesses is as a result of recent rainfall across the territory.
Meanwhile, an environmental health team has been trying to reduce the mosquito population.
The zika virus, is spread mainly by the bite of an infected Aedes aegypti mosquito.
- Barbados Is Free Of Active Zika Transmission
- Australian Experiment Cuts Dengue Mosquito Population by 80%
- BRITISH VIRGIN ISLANDS | Police force to become “less dependent” says Commissioner
- BRITISH VIRGIN ISLANDS | Task force to study effects of Brexit fall out
- Zika virus outbreak continues - 200,000 confirmed cases since global emergency