The Prime Minister said that Ministers in the Government system must be competent in exercising good judgment, integrity, and dedication.
He outlined the essence and skills set of individuals who serve in the Executive.
“So what then is the essence of a Minister, is it competence in a subject area or is it good judgment to administer the affairs of the public to be able to filter the good advice from bad advice to find the right people to be advisors. What then is the essence of the ministerial responsibility is it knowledge of the subject or integrity of the character that the discretion and power vested in the Minister will always be used for the public interest and not for personal interest," said Prime Minister Holness.
In that regard, Prime Minister Holness added that Ministers in the ministerial service are to dedicate every fibre of their being to serving the public without failure.
“We are at a turning point, a tipping point, something good and powerful can happen in our country by our actions if we decide as Ministers to exercise the power and authority vested in you by these instruments. With the highest level of integrity dignity, and, efficiency, something good can happen in our nation, but it depends on what we choose to do. Before the electorate chooses to do what, they must,” said Prime Minister Holness.
In the meantime, Prime Minister Holness stated that the Government must stay in line with the expectation of the people, and the voice of the people must be heard, considered, and taken seriously.
- Countries: Jamaica
- JAMAICA | Holness calls out JDF Reserve troops to fight crime
- JAMAICA | Holness Announces COVID-19 Measures for Christmas Period
- JAMAICA | Country wants effective action on crime says Fitz Jackson
- JAMAICA | JetBlue Begins Non-Stop Flights Into Montego Bay From Newark And Raleigh
- JAMAICA | Stiffer Penalties Coming for Breaches of COVID-19 Restrictions
Latest from Calvin G. Brown
- COVID-19: Oxford University vaccine is highly effective
- CARICOM | November is CARICOM Energy Month
- GUYANA | Nigel and Cathy Hughes property firebombed; Arson suspected
- GUYANA | Chief Elections Officer face new charges, Lawyer says its a setup!
- JAMAICA | Opposition spokesman on Social Security wants greater national support for senior citizens