Nicholas said Prime Minister Gaston Browne informed him this morning, that the 44 year old former Education Minister who resigned on Wednesday had been charged by the police based on allegations against him.
He did not state the nature of the charge but its understood that the allgeation against Michael Browne were made by a woman.
Nicholas said Prime Minister Gaston Browne asked the Governor General to revoke the Education Minister’s appointment.
He said Browne maintains his innocence and has asked for the support of his Cabinet colleagues.
According to the Prime Minister, the Education Ministry has been given to Sports and Festivals Minister, Daryl Matthew, who has already been sworn in.
On Thursday, Michael Browne was arrested and charged and granted bail in the sum of EC$15,000 when he appeared in court.
Browne’s attorney, Gail Pedro, told the court that her client has no previous arrest and will not be interfering with the victim or witnesses.
The presiding magistrate Ngaio Emanuel-Edward granted the former minister bail.
He was ordered to surrender his travel documents, and report to the police three times per week.
- Countries: Antigua_Barbuda
- ANTIGUA | PM Browne cries 'foul' as B'dos and St. Vincent pull LIAT landing rights
- ANTIGUA | Wearing COVID-19 tracking bracelets may soon be mandatory for persons in quarentine
- A&B | LIAT again takes to the skies with flights to Seven destinations
- ANTIGUA | LIAT begins limited flights on November 30
- ANTIGUA & BARBUDA wants to become a digital currency hub