“I wish to register, in the strongest possible terms, our objection to the proposed appointment of Mr. Charandass Persaud as Guyana’s High Commissioner to India. Mr. Persaud does not enjoy the confidence of a large segment of the Guyanese population and is mired in controversy,” Harmon said.
Harmon who indicated that he was writing on behalf of the Opposition party, told India’s Minister of External Affairs, H.E. Subrahmanyam Jaishankar on Thursday the manner in which Persad betrayed his party and government by crossing the floor.
“The people of Guyana who elected him to serve as a Member of Parliament in the APNU/AFC Government continue to be disturbed by his actions in the National Assembly on December 21, 2018, actions which he took of his own accord, without the consultation or consent of the constituency he was elected to represent,” the Opposition Leader pointed out.
“Accordingly, we are of the view that the appointment of Mr. Persaud to such an important portfolio is likely to be viewed by the Guyanese people as a reward for and an endorsement of his treasonous act,” Harmon stated.
“The people of Guyana have always enjoyed cordial relations with the government and people of India and we are concerned that Mr. Persaud’s appointment may place a significant strain on this important relationship,” The Opposition Leader concluded.
- Countries: Guyana
- GUYANA | Does Joe Harmon need to recognize the Irfaan Ali Gov't ?
- GUYANA | Opposition to meet with US contractor to discuss electoral reform project
- GUYANA | Death threat against Walton Desir could ignite historic racial strife
- GUYANA | Workable, Transparent Gov't Policy Needed for Oil and Gas Investment
- GUYANA | Amanza Walton Desir Responds to PPP/C's Racist Charges