Richards matched Hughes stride for stride with about 30 metres to go, when Hughes flayed his left arm and smacked Richards in the face.
The blow caused Richards to lose momentum as Hughes tipped him in a photo finish for the gold. Both sprinters were credited with a time of 20.12.
Upon official review, however, Hughes was disqualified and Richards upgraded to gold.
The decision is currently being protested by England.
- Countries: Trinidad_Tobago
- GUYANA | “No sell-out” of natural resources to Trinidad says Granger
- GUYANA | T&T supports Guyana on border controversy with Venezuela
- GUYANA | C'bean countries seeking fuel suppliers following T&T refinery closure
- TRINIDAD | Petrotrin's Oil Refinery to close, 1700 to lose jobs
- T&T | Biggest quake in two centuries, at 6.9M, rattles Trinidad, Grenada, Guyana, Venezuela