The decision was made by the group's Council during a meeting held in Geneza, Switzerland late last month. The BDS movement, for its part, described the development in a press released issued on Friday, saying that it is “the most significant call for sanctions against Israel to date.”
Some SI political parties participating in national governments are in South Africa, Tanzania, Argentina, Spain, Colombia, Portugal, Luxemburg, Romania, Iraq and elsewhere, according to the BDS Movement website.
In reaffirming the rights of the Palestinian people, SI noted that it calls on all civil organizations, as well as governments, to “activate Boycott, divestment and sanctions against the Israeli occupation.
”It also insisted on a “total embargo on all forms of military trade and cooperation with Israel as long as it continues its policies of occupation and Apartheid against the people of Palestine.
SI went on to denounce Israel's “racist laws,” while expressing solidarity with the people of Palestine who “continue to live under a system of institutionalized discrimination.”
Israeli security forces have killed at least 104 Palestinians and wounded about 12,000 others during this year’s Great March of Return that began on March 30. The march advocates Palestinian refugees’ right to return to the Palestinian land they were forcibly expelled from in 1948, the year of the foundation of the state of Israel.
- Countries: None
- CARICOM | Colombia is willing to participate in CARIFESTA
- Palestinians Slam US Ambassador to Israel's Annexation Remarks
- Jump-Start Private Investment to reignite South Africa's Growth says IMF
- Sanctioner-in-Chief: 10 Countries Hit by Trump's Favorite Regime Change Tactic in Just Two Years
- Cuban Ambassador in Spain Denounces Tightening of U.S. Blockade