This was disclosed by Foreign Affairs and Foreign Trade minister Kamina Johnson Smith during a press conference on Thursday.
In give her quarterly update , Johnson Smith said there has been a year on year reduction in the number of Jamaicans barred from entering the twin island republic, based on the cases recorded between March 2016 and March 2017.
She said only one Jamaican filed a report during the period – and that was made in February.
Relations between the two Caribbean Community (CARICOM) member states had been strained over the decision of Port of Spain last year to deport a number of Jamaicans whom they said would have been a charge on the State for their stay here, having shown no means of sustaining themselves while in the country.
The stance taken by immigration officials prompted several Jamaicans to call for a boycott of products from the oil-rich twin island Republic.
Trinidad and Tobago’s Prime Minister Dr. Keith Rowley visited Kingston in July last year to discuss the issue with his Jamaican counterpart, Andrew Holness and, an action plan was drafted outlining cooperation programmes and activities.
Earlier this year, Johnson Smith said that the Jamaican government here is pleased with the measures taken by the Trinidad and Tobago government in solving the immigration issues.
- Countries: Jamaica
- JAMAICA hails OAS contribution to development
- JAMAICA | Trinidadian Minister Not Searched by Jamaican Immigration Authorities
- JAMAICA | PM Holness receives report of CARICOM review commission
- Jamaica says fewer nationals denied entry into Trinidad and Tobago
- Ja's Foreign Minister wants to engage youth in the Diaspora