The discussions were held against the background of the upcoming Ministerial Meeting between the Foreign Ministers of the Community and Colombia to be held in Cartagena de Indias, on 29 June, 2019. In a further sign of strengthening ties, a Colombian Ambassador will be accredited to CARICOM on 12 June.
Secretary-General LaRocque expressed his appreciation for the efforts to revive the relationship during the discussions which included exchanges on trade and economic issues, technical co-operation, disaster management and security. The Colombian Foreign Minister stated that his country was interested in strengthening regional co-operation.
They agreed that a strengthened institutional framework was necessary for the relationship going forward including the convening of a Joint Council on Trade. The two parties have in place an Agreement on Trade, Economic and Technical Co-operation which was signed in 1994 and amended in 1998.
- Countries: CARICOM
- PANCAP promotes PrEP for prevention of HIV transmission
- CARICOM | Communiqué of the 22nd meeting of the Council for Foreign and Community Relations (COFCOR)
- CARICOM Chairman wants closer collaboration among regional law enforcement agencies
- CARICOM | Safety and Security of Citizens key to CARCOM’s sustainable development says Rowley
- CARICOM united on peaceful resolution of Venezuela crisis