Speaking on RJR's Beyond the Headlines, Dr. Phillips praised the Council's mandate to foster economic growth and increase investments in Jamaica. However he argued that there were government entities already working towards growth and which are engaged in international negotiations.
He said he would await the written terms under which the Michael Lee Chin-led Council will operate, and its relationship with other government entities that are already carrying out growth seeking activities.
"I would want to see the terms of reference for the Council and how it is going to function with institutions like Jampro and the other agencies of government who have much to mandate. They can encourage, they can link but I would hope they are not going to substitute for agencies that are already in place to do much of this," Dr. Phillips said.
He pointed out that there was a risk of wasting resources if proper structures are not in place: "We just need to make sure that we are creating structures that are clear to everyone, otherwise you run the risk of those who need to use the structure not having any idea of where the real centre (of) decision making lay," he said.
- Jamaica | PNP MP for East Portland Stabbed to death
- JAMAICA | Holness playing Politics with National Security says PNP
- JAMAICA | Nelson hailed for service to Working Class
- JAMAICA | PNP talks with Chinese Company may bring reward for Jamaican workers
- JAMAICA | PNP opens Condolence book Easton Douglas